Monday 31 August 2009

Art Monday: sketch for Art Evolved Gallery

Just a quick Art Monday while I try to give myself a crash course in ArtRage.

Over at Art Evolved, the next group paleo gallery (tomorrow! yipes!) is about Anomalocaris.
For a long while now I've had an idea to do a series of Precambrian-inspired clothing.
Anomalocaris is supposed to be (in my mind) similar to the whole preying mantis/black widow/femme fatale aesthetic.


This was the original, unfinished painting fro
m a couple of years ago: And here's my new sketch: I had a model pose for the shoulders. Apparently, that is quite an uncomfortable combination of hip and neck tilts. Instead of being underwater as in the original, I decided to make her emerging from it.

Off to try ArtRage!

- - - - - - - -
Original artwork on The Flying Trilobite Copyright to Glendon Mellow
under Creative Commons Licence.

Flying Trilobite Gallery *** Flying Trilobite Reproduction Shop ***

8 comments:

Weapon of Mass Imagination said...

Just added the sketch to the Gallery, but I can't wait to the see the finished coloured piece (which I hope is still coming?!? :P )

Glendon Mellow said...

I don't know if it will be in time for the gallery. (meaning this week). I'm still trying to figure out my workflow to get the underpainting techniques and refining down the way I like it. Definite work in progress.

I know this sounds like a cop-out, but if I had hadn't had all those earlier computer problems throughout August, I'd be a lot more caught up.

Dan J said...

I'm going to have to take a look at the ArtRage starter edition just to play around with. I haven't done anything interesting (artistically speaking) for a long time.

Since I run Linux at home, I use Gimp for most of my graphics needs. I'll have to run ArtRage in a virtual machine, which means I may not be able to use my graphics tablet.

Rachael Revelle said...

I can't wait to see the finished clothes on the catwalk! have you done any of this in collage fabric? Is there a male version? 'His and Hers' cambrian creature outfits..very kinky :-)

Glendon Mellow said...

Hey Dan! Thanks for checking it out. Gimp is not bad as a Photoshop substitute, but I really like ArtRage's interface. The wheels in the corner are reminiscent of palettes, and very easy.

Glendon Mellow said...

Rachael!

I'll have to finish this one and continue the series. I do have a trilobite male, but he's more genetically engineered or Egyptian myth-style than high fashion.

His and hers...hahahaha, that's a great idea.!

Dan J said...

Good news: I got ArtRage (starter edition) installed on Ubuntu 9.04 using Wine. (Had to grab a gdiplus.dll file to get it to start up properly.)

Better news: It recognizes my Wacom tablet automatically. I actually hadn't expected the pressure sensitivity to work, but it's perfect.

Looks like I might have to find time to play with it this weekend. Thanks for pointing me to ArtRage, Glendon.

Glendon Mellow said...

I hope you're having fun Dan!

My favourite thing about Artrage: the easy easy interface that feels like me with my paintbox. (And a magic undo key).

My least favourite thing: not enough yet to really dive in.

Post a Comment

Posts over 14 days old have their comments held in moderation - I've been getting an unusual amount of spam for a guy who paints trilobites. I'll release it lickety-split though.

Copyright © 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 Glendon Mellow. All rights reserved. See Creative Commons Licence above in the sidebar for details.
Share |