Monday 1 March 2010

Art Monday: rough dinosaur

The Art Evolved Therizinosaur gallery will be launching in the next 24 hours, and well, I'm not ready to submit. It's been a busy February. I've been taking a few steps to try and balance things better in my life. The work/blog/freelance/school/family time needs to be integrated better, and not in that order of importance.

At any rate, here's what I was working on. Maybe I'll come back to it some time.

After sketching in pencil in my Moleskine, I worked on this sketch in ArtRage.Click to enlarge if you wanna.

The idea was to have a small group of explorers climb down a rope and see this huge feathered therizinosaur sitting in a brass filigree cage - with many damaged bars. Actually, considering how close the therizinosar looks to a Jabberwocky, that may as well be Alice standing there (Yeah, I'm excited to see Tim Buton's latest.)

I based the therizinosaur's pose on my parrot I used to have, Sam. He was a blue-front Amazon, and would often display his wings one at a time, his tail feathers and feathers on his neck.

Here's me and Sam back in the day.

- - - - - - - -
Original artwork on The Flying Trilobite Copyright to Glendon Mellow
under Creative Commons Licence.

Flying Trilobite Gallery
*** Flying Trilobite Reproduction Shop ***

3 comments:

Trish said...

Ooh, I like the color scheme so far!

Anonymous said...

I really like the feel of it :)

Glendon Mellow said...

Thank you Trish, thank you B! Your comments are really encouraging. I wish I had time to finish it this week, but school comes first. I realized last night I'm less than two months away from my B.F.A. Yikes.

Post a Comment

Posts over 14 days old have their comments held in moderation - I've been getting an unusual amount of spam for a guy who paints trilobites. I'll release it lickety-split though.

Copyright © 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 Glendon Mellow. All rights reserved. See Creative Commons Licence above in the sidebar for details.
Share |